The trustees have the role of Company Directors and are responsible for the Governance of the Society. Collectively they bring professional experience from the Royal and Merchant Navy, the fishing industry, national health service, architecture, banking, social services, accountancy and law. There are 12 trustees and they meet every quarter.
Mission and Governing Body
To enable the children of seafarers to reach their true potential and not be further disadvantaged because of the financial situation within the family
Patron – HRH The Princess Royal GCVO
President – The Right Hon. The Earl of Halifax
Board of Trustees
Chairman – Christopher Towne
Vice Chairman – Greg Medici
William Hairsine, RN
The actions of the Charity are defined by the terms of the Memorandum & Articles first drafted in 1919 and last revised on 4th August 2005. Click here to download a copy.
Every year, the Trustees approve and sign off the Society’s Annual Report and Financial Statements which by law have to be submitted to Companies House and the Charity Commission once they have been adopted at the Society’s Annual General Meeting usually held in August.
197 Years Of Care
The history of the Society dates back to 1821 and in 2011 we celebrated 190 years of supporting seafarers’ children.
1821 – A meeting convened by public advertisement in the Boy’s school room to organise a Society, the designation of which was to be “Port of Hull Society for the Religious Instruction to Seamen”.
The floating chapel “Valiant” opened for worship in the Humber Dock.
1837 – Sailors’ Orphan Institute was established in Waterhouse Lane for clothing and educating children of deceased seamen and rivermen.
1867 – First orphan house opened in Castle Row. Society purchased Thanet House in Park Street for £4,500 to accommodate 100 orphans.
1868 – First Royal Patronage – HRH Rear Admiral, the Duke of Edinburgh.
1892 – Six Acres purchased at Newland on which to erect a model village.
1897 – School opened for primary level to teach the Society’s children.
1914 – First children of Royal Navy casualties received into the Society’s care.
1919 – Society incorporated under the Companies Act.
1936 – The inaugural meeting of the Old Scholars Association.
1956 – Beginning of subsidisation of children in their own homes.
1983 – Introduction of halfway houses for adolescents.
1993 – Redirected work at Newland to the residential care of abused children in conjunction with local authorities.
2003 – Last child leaves Newland and focus is entirely on helping children in their own homes.
2009 – Newland Estate is sold for student accommodation
2011 – Society changes its names to Sailors’ Children’s Society in the presence of Patron HRH Princess Royal on board HQS Wellington moored on the Thames embankment.
190th Celebrations begin with a re-enactment of the first public meeting held on 18th April 1821. A book is written by June Clough.
2014 – Launch of the Caravan Appeal held at the HMS President in the presence of Patron HRH Princess Royal.
2017 – Launch of the 200 Business Club held in November in the presence of our Patron HRH Princess Royal at the Maritime Museum in Hull.
The Old Scholars Association was set up to provide focus for those brought up at Newland. There is a Newland Homes facebook page for anyone interested in getting in touch. For all enquiries for information relating to ex-residents or family history, please click on the link for the Hull History Centre who hold our historical records or the Yorkshire Film Archive which house our film records.
If you wish to purchase the 190th book written by June Clough or purchase a Newland Estate map, please make enquiries through firstname.lastname@example.org.