Picture of two boys looking out to sea

Mother and childApply For Help

The Society’s aim is to help children of seafarers who are in full-time education and the families who are in severe financial difficulties.

Do you qualify for our support?

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE – If your seafaring career income has been severely affected, we are here to help please email us at info@sailorschildren.org.uk 

  • Have you served at sea? One of the child’s parents must have either served in the Royal or Merchant Navy or in the fishing fleets including ferries, tankers, cruise ships and cargo boats
  • Do you have child or children under the age of 18? You must be the person in receipt of child benefit
  • Are you in receipt of any of the following means tested state benefits
     Housing Benefit
    tick Council Tax Benefit (other than single persons 25% discount or disablement reduction)

If the answer is yes to all of the above questions and would like to apply or you know someone who may then please contact us. Even if the Society is unable to help, we will do our best to direct you to another organisation that may be able to assist you. Please click on the Our Work page to see the level of support we can offer you.


If you are over the age of 18 and have secured a place at University/College and your parent(s) has served at sea and in receipt of any of the above means-tested benefits then you may be able to apply for our Student Grant Scheme.  Please click above on the box Apply Here.